Monday, September 27, 2004

Brian the brain.

Brian figured it out first. Find this blog via Irene's comments. Far simpler than trying to search for what I might or might not call my blog. Whether or not Brian was the first visitor is unknown. So, for those who know Irene, and found this on their own, I welcome you to my personal little space on the web. For those who were referred here, I welcome you anyway, but not as warmly as the others.

I just recently finished reading...

To be continued... Felix is picking me up for some bbt. Going to edit his essay while I'm at it.

... Douglas Adams' the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In my opinion, the most memorable part of the novel,
Ah. . . ! What's happening? it thought.
Er, excuse me, who am I?
Hello?
Why am I here? What's my purpose in life?
What do I mean by who am I?
Calm down, get a grip now . . . Oh! This is an interesting sensation, what is it? It's a sort of . . . yawning, tingling sensation in my . . . my . . . well I suppose I'd better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let's call it my stomach.
Good. Ooooh, it's getting quite strong. And hey, what about this whistling roaring sound going past what I'm suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that . . . wind! Is that a good name? It'll do . . . perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I've find out what it's for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What's this thing? This . . . let's call it a tail - yeah, tail. Hey! I can really thrash it about pretty good, can't I? Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn't seem to achieve very much, but I'll probably find out what it's for later on. Now - have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?
No.
Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I'm quite dizzy with anticipation . . .
Or is it the wind?
There really is a lot of that now, isn't there?
And wow! Hey! What's this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like . . . ow . . . ound . . . round . . . ground! That's it! Thats a good name - ground!
I wonder if it will be friends with me?

Definitely a very funny book - strongly advise you read it. Then you'll know what I'm going on about.

Next time on Eucatastrophe: My Prince Charming theory.

6 comments:

Cammie said...

gotcha! brian's so smart...

man, this signing in to comment is tricky...need to remember not to post on ppl's site that i don't want visiting mine....

Ivan said...

i found this place on my own too! haha. yeah, you sorta gave it away when you posted on irene's site.

prince charming theory eh? sounds interesting. i'm looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

what does Eucatastrophe mean?

- wend

i said...

dude, that was a long comment. i hope you found it online and didn't have to type it up all on your own. I'm not sure I'm really jiving with the word 'eucatastrophe'. Ivan told me it meant the opposite of catastrophe, but i think i like words that are positive that are altered to negative. like "unimaginative, illegible, etc" and negative word turned positive always leaves the positive aspect tinged with negativity.........okay, now i'm just blabbing...

Dust said...

EU
Prefix, Greek origin
Means Good.
Eukaryote - Eu: Good, Kary: Nut (nucleus) as opposed to prokaryote (before nut: prokaryotes don't have a nucleus).

I typed it out. It didn't take long.

Steph said...

I have that book. It's funny. They have a whole series of them but i only have the first one.