Thursday, December 17, 2009

Olympic Fatigue Already?

The Olympic torch passed by my building today at about 2:30 PM. It was pretty cool to see the crowd lining the street as the torchbearer made his/her way down Yonge St.

The one thing I noticed was that security was a sham. I mean, it was a complete joke. They had no control over the crowd whatsoever - unable to keep the crush back from the torch bearer.

How embarrassing for Canada would it have been for a brave protester to run up with a fire extinguisher and put out that 'eternal flame?' A good number of people were able to get pretty close to the bearer with their digital cameras and cellphones. Fact is, if you can get that close with a camera, you can get just as close with a can of ABC.

In light of Canada's recently reinforced stance on emissions and climate change, it would have been fitting had a couple of well-organized rabid environmentalists rushed the torch and put it out.

I think I'm already sick of Vancouver, sick of VANOC, sick of the Bay, and sick of the Olympics... and the games haven't even started yet.

On the other hand, maybe I'll get my sister a gift card to Lulu lemon - I hear they have a special edition line of clothing out called "Cool Sporting Event That Takes Place in British Columbia Between 2009 & 2011 Edition"

-d

No comments: