Friday, April 30, 2010

How to compost in your condo

Been crazy busy and haven't had much time for blogging.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop this awesome article about DIY vermicomposting towers. I have a similar system under my desk at work where I throw my vegetable/fruit waste. The diff between the one in the article and mine is that mine is a tub system, which is a little simpler to run, but harder to maintain. The tower system has a higher chance of success, and is probably more effient, but it's also a lot more complicated to build.

Anyway, if you're interested, drop me a line, and I can help you get started (ie. with worms and some tips).

As a side note, I'm planted a garlic clove at the office and it sprouted!

-d

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At once fascinating and gross. Does it not start to smell after a while? And where so you get these worms from? Can you looking after a good rainfall?

Dust said...

There's no smell unless you lift the cover. Even then, it just smells like damp earth. There are no hints of rancidity, sour, or poo-like smells. Just damp earth.

The worms are red wigglers bred specifically for composting. They would likely not do very well in the wild. Conversely, wild worms would not be very efficient in a compost bin.

-d