Monday, August 24, 2009

Barefoot running.

Ordered a pair of Vibram Fivefingers Classics. It's like a toughened sock for your feet to facilitate bombing around barefoot.

The idea is derived from the principles of barefoot running, which is really white people trying to explain how black people win all the track events. This is how it works: people from poor-ass countries can't afford shoes, nevermind a bike or a car, so they run around barefoot. As a result, they become really good at running marathons and the 400 m race.

So, someone thought "hey, why don't we run barefoot too?" Someone else replied "because you don't want to get HIV from that dirty needle that you might step on." You can see the niche market developing right? Vibram makes soles for shoes. It was a logical step for vibram to start making soles for your soles. And that, in a nutshell is what the Vibram Fivefinger shoes are. Soles for your Soles.

Now, I'm naturally wary of new-age bullshit - and this smells like some new-age hippie bullshit. Still, I like the idea of strengthening my feet - a part of my body that has been found weak and underperforming.

I haven't found any training regimens that satisfactorily address my foot issues, and my orthotics really dampen performance. There doesn't seem to be a lot of real research done in this area - just a whole lot of speculation and pseudo-science. I mean, if you mess up your knee, there are some pretty solid, proven rehab regimens that will help restore your range of movement, stability, and strength. When it comes to feet, "orthotics" is the most common answer. To me, that's akin to saying "crutch" for the aforementioned knee example.

Anyway, I'm easing into the barefoot thing. Starting with a lot of walking and some very short runs (no more than 400 m). My legs are pretty sore in some weird places, so I'll read that as a positive sign that the barefoot thing is working as planned.

-d

8 comments:

Cammie said...

hee heee, i would totally giggle if i saw someone wearing those.

Cylie Artisans Chocolatiers said...

I think they're cute. That's why I wear toe socks. haha.

Steph said...

toe socks freak me out hahaha. Does your foot fit perfectly in those pre-formed feet? I mean what if you are ivan with a freakishly long second toe? I usually wear shoes to protect my toes cuz i tend to stub them alot, those shoes look like i can still stub them. I think nike had those sock shoe thingys. I guess if they fit you perfectly they could be good. really i'd probably buy that shoe if it fit me perfectly like a tight sock does but chances are it wont. But i bet you could really dig your toes in when running hahaha. that would be awesome if they had those with cleats on the toes hahaha.

Dust said...

Yeah, the website says if your second toe is more than 1/16th of an inch longer than your big toe, you might have trouble sizing. Mine is, and I don't have any trouble.

It fits well on me - like a tight sock. It's pretty stretchy, and the website says any size will fit foot widths A to EEE. I'm an E width, and I have no problems.

Really, if you measure your foot accurately, there should be no fit issues.

They have a good return policy, so if it doesn't fit, you're only out shipping, handling, and some taxes if you're too lazy to claw it back from the government.

-d

Simon said...

If you want to really ease your way into things, transition with a pair of Nike Free runners.

They're shoes, but are aimed at emulating barefoot running as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_Free

Also, they're HELLA comfortable for just wearing around. Simon tested and approved.

Dust said...

Yep, that's what I'm recommending for KT. Nike Free also comes in a greater range of sizes.

I don't believe it's necessary to ease into 3.0 by going through 7.0 and 5.0 the way they recommend. I say just go straight to 3.0, and ease your way in by distance and time.

-d

ehbaba said...

I love my orthodics and can't function without them. Maybe my feet problems are more conducive to correction via orthodics or I lucked out with a really good foot guy. I'm not sure since he's the only guy I've seen but he seems to be pretty up to date with changes in technology and he's really geeky looking haha. I don't find any decrease in my performance when I play volleyball but you probably compete at a higher level so you may notice any potential issues much more. If you're interested at giving my foot dude a try, let me know and I'll give you his name and number.

blt said...

whoah, are you kidding, cleats in those things would be like walking on little poles! haha. unless you put some sort of pad to distribute the force absorbed by the cleats, but then i guess that would defeat the purpose of a barefoot running shoe

interesting concept, though, will have to check it out