Monday, September 14, 2009

Glass the way to go

Remember when the BPA scare hit and everybody started to buy those Sigg aluminum bottles? Remember how I called bullshit on that?

Told you so.

Sigg is now offering free replacement bottles for consumers who purchased theirs before August 2008. Why? BPA.

If you're a Sigg customer I don't know how you can go on using your bottle or even bother taking advantage of their free exchange program. Why support a company that demonstrates either gross incompetence or a lack of integrity?

Which brings us to today's topic. Glass bottles. Reuse your San Pellegrino glass bottle for holding drinking water.

Ohh, but Dust, what happens if you drop the bottle and it BREAKS?!

Well, the same thing that happens if you drop you cup and it breaks. Honestly, people, that's not a good reason to not use glass. Any other reason you can think of not to use glass? I thought so. Use glass.

-d

4 comments:

Leslie said...

My aunt's a fan of glass bottles.

It's a good thing I didn't end up buying those bottles. I started to really get suckered in with some of those really cute designs I saw.

Dust said...

Didn't ever see a design that I liked.

I always thought they looked like weak thermoses.

I don't see how that shit could ever functionally replace a nalgene. It lacks the same durabiltiy, capacity, and ease of cleaning.

-d

Steph said...

TO be honest i still like and use normal water bottles even though i have a sigg bottle (which i still have to return). BPA be damned. I've been drinking out of plastic for 27 years I'm already screwed. Glass weighs too much and is too fragile for sports wear and tear. I also have stainless steel bottle but it was made in china so i'm probably getting lead poisoning from it...

Dust said...

I don't like bottled water, not because of BPA (I couldn't care less about BPA), but more because of the first R.

I use glass because of the second R.

If I really have to, I'll go ahead and buy a bottle of water and then execute the third R.

The fact is, Toronto's tap water is cleaner than most bottled water, so apart from conveniance, there's no other reason to buy bottled water. I'll buy bottled water for conveniance. Otherwise, it's my Nalgene or my San Pellegrino bottle. hahaha.

-d