Thursday, September 15, 2005

Accessorize!

I've always had urges to accessorize my bicycle.

Back in the high school days, biking home with Dan, I was all about buying neat stuff from canadian tire - a bell, bullhorns, a mudflap, bike rack, water bottle holder, u-lock, and some other stuff I can't remember. I was limited by cashflow though, so most of my accessories either didn't match, or were of poor worksmanship and quality.

Now that I do have some spending power, I've got that urge to accessorize my new bike, but stronger. This time, it's all brand name stuff. Nothing too flashy, I wouldn't want any of it stolen, but still nice. I've just bought a new helmet and brakelight, and I bought a new lock and water bottle holder when I bought my bike last month.

I think I want to buy a LED headlight next, along with a second, matching bottle holder (my bike has space for two), and a front saddlebag. I figure, with my sense of direction, I really should be cycling around with a map in front of me, hence the saddlebag. I can also put my lunch in there, or whatever something else I need to take with me (compass, settlers of catan). The second bottle holder will just look nice. I've never had to drink two bottles of water on a cycling trip. I probably only need about a litre every 40km, double that if I go hard. As for the LED headlight, I already have the LED brakelight, so I might as well be safe for those night trips. For next year, I'll look into buying spare inner-tubes in case I get a flat, a portable pump, and a roadside repair kit.

4 comments:

Simon said...

for some reason, i'm under the impression that bri has been playing a lot of that online settlers, hahaha

Anonymous said...

I'd highly recommend MEC for bike accessories. Check out their tiny blinking white lights (they look like keychains, I think they often just have them at the counter). They're like 2-3$ a piece, tiny, and super-bright, so you can get 4 or 5 and put them all over the place (wheels, helmet, you name it). You'll be a pimp. Also, don't leave home without a pump, spare tube and tire levers.

Dan

Cammie said...

that reminds me...i need a new flashlight...preferably one that is small, bright, and uses the least amount of battery power...ideas?

Anonymous said...

get those plastic colourful things you put on your wheels that make all the clanging noise. like back in grade 2! those will go really well..haha ~wend