Thursday, August 24, 2006

Thanks, guys.

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon in a park, as part of a workplace retreat run by my Unit at Health Canada. We threw the frisbee around, had tons of catered Lebanese food (that we couldn't finish), and spent maybe 2 hrs discussing some of our more relevant regulations as the 'work' part of our retreat.

Nice, cool weather, getting paid to take a break, catered food... and you - you paid for it all. Thanks. I really appreciate it.

On another note, I just finished reading R. Heinlein's Starship Troopers (nothing like the movie, which was based on the novel, and not the other way around). Really good piece of fiction, lots of discourse on right-wing politics (remember the fascist themes in the movie?). A lot of it makes sense, especially for one raised by the army - more specifically, the infantry. I can really relate to a lot of the militaristic thoughts and ways of thinking expressed by the main character, himself a product of the infantry. The author must also have had a military background of some sort. I doubt there's any other way he could so clearly describe the thoughts and feelings of an FNG in boot camp. I'm not sure if non-military readers would appreciate some of the finer points in the novel. I highly recommended it to military pers, though.

-d

4 comments:

Dust said...

god damn. i'm reading my post and it's barely got any flow. badly put together...

Anonymous said...

You may feel bad about you post, but your description of Starship Troopers is accurate. I found that I could relate to the protagonist because of my military experience and see how I fit in with the whole political message. If only we got everyone to join the military in Canada we could start to fix so many problems with this country. Oh well, it would never happen, but it's a good dream. Like taxing obese people for the extra medical care that they will no doubt require in the future. I mean it makes sense, but there's too much political libility attached to it, so it will never happen with these weak willed bleeding hearts who run our country.

Dust said...

yes. economics has shown us that money talks, which is why the government likes taxing alcohol and tobacco.

funny thing in ottawa, we have 'safe injection sites' here, but no 'safe smoking sites.' tobacco addicts are still addicts. like heroin addicts, they're putting themselves at risk by using, and sometimes they put others at risk too. still, we choose to ignore the tobacco addicts (who are so much more prevalent in society) and cater to the heroin addicts.

just you wait. one day, i'll make a drug more addictive than nicotine, totally harmless to your health unless you take it regularly, and then I'll introduce it to the drinking water supply. and then i'll cut everyone off and start marketing the pills as a cure for this new mysterious ailment. and so, will being my slow ascent to the throne of the world!

but don't worry yourselves about it. i'll make sure you guys have a free lifetime supply of the pills and stuff. (hahaha)

-d

Dust said...

"and so, will being my..." the hell is wrong with me? use it or lose it, i guess.

-d