Tuesday, December 12, 2006

HDTV

HDTV is beautiful.

My dad just bought a 52" Sharp HDTV last week. It was quite the task mounting it to our existing wall unit. We had to cut 1/8" steel strips to anchor the mounting arm to the wall unit safely. In total, the tv and mounting equipment weighs over 160 lbs, so we had to make damn sure that it stays put.

After that, I hooked up our Dolby 5.1 surround sound system. It sounds very weird - we're missing rear speakers. My dad went out a couple of days ago and bought some new speakers. Pickup tomorrow. Mounting on thursday probably.

And then, instead of studying for exams and stuff, I alphabetized the family's DVD collection and inputted it all into an excel spreadsheet. We have 158 movies. My dad wants to systematically watch all the movies to see which ones are worth keeping and which ones to throw out.

So, I've been using my in-between study session break-time to watch some HD programming from Rogers. It's gorgeous... I actually watched hockey for the first time in a long time - it was that good. It's too bad I don't watch House or any of those other shows that other people like - they come in HD too.

Anyway, after exams, say maybe on monday or tuesday, I'm going to move my computer down to the family room and hook it up to the new TV. We managed to get an HDMI-DVI cable (got a deal - $50 - didn't realize how expensive until I saw it on the Dell website for $160), so I can spend a little more time with the newest member of the family.

I can't even imagine how I was at all satisfied with regular TV before HD. It's one of those things that you can't backpedal on. If I ever move out, one of my first purchases will be an HDTV. Before I even get a bed. or kitchen stuff. HDTV.

My grandma (the shanghainese one) is arriving this weekend. Those who would like to learn how to cook...

-d

4 comments:

Simon said...

welcome to the club friend.

you know what's better than HD hockey? HD basketball.

it's the crack cocaine of hi-def programming.

i said...

say hi to your grandma! but i've learnt all i wanted to learn from your grandma last time. i still make the buns from time to time.

Fruits and Passion said...

loser

Dust said...

haha. sorry i forgot to call you...