Monday, July 31, 2006

See the Signs

Battle of the Faxes

Today, I was defeated at the fax machine. I had just blasted off 5 faxes to Australia, which take a little longer to process, owing to the distance of the destination. One of the girls came in, as I left, to fax her papers off. When I sat at my desk, the other girl got up and headed off, empty handed. My spidey sense goes bezerk.

They return together, and one of them has a confirmation report for me. It reads 'stopped,' and I'm thinking, "those bitches, they fragged my fax." They explained that some guy came in, and was faxing something, but his paper jammed and he kept hitting the cancel key, canceling my fax. Now, now, I thought, I shouldn't just jump to conclusions like that. I needed a plan. I needed to figure out how to expose them.

Anyway, I went back to the fax machine to re-fax the stopped fax, and watched as the machine spat out a confirmation, 'ok,' for another aussi fax. This is good, I thought. Now, I can watch the progression of confirmation reports, and see if they're lying or not. I re-fax my stopped fax, and used that as an excuse to wait around and check the confirmations.

Low and behold, there isn't a fax report for my mysterious fax stopper. It's circumstantial, at best, but I have a pretty good idea of who's fucking with my work. Luckily for me, they're none too bright, but they wasted 5 minutes of my time, and I'll pay them back ten-fold, I promise.

-d

3 comments:

Cammie said...

i don't get it. but i get the gist. I don't understand why they would hate you so much as to conspire in this way. its ridiculous. are you SURE its not jsut being magnified in your head?

Dust said...

Well, faxes don't come back as "stop" unless someone hits the cancel button during transmission. A failed fax would read "busy," "modem failure," or "no answer." Furthermore, transmissions can only be stopped if the cancel button is pushed while the status and number appears on the screen. The fax log shows that all the faxes between my initial fax and my refax were from my co-workers. That would imply that my co-workers stopped my fax, would it not?

-d

Anonymous said...

dustin's paranoia is sound. it's definitely some kind of plot by one or more individuals to slowly chip away at dustin's sanity.