Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Merino Wool Base-layers

Hit the Ski & Snowboard show earlier this month. There were definitely some good deals for those looking to buy their own equipment. I didn't buy anything major - I just received a brand new board for my birthday (thanks KT!), and purchased matching bindings last month. So having the hardware boxes checked off, I really only went to check out the clothing. I bought an Icebreaker 150 g/sq m pure merino wool base-layer top for $65.

This year, I'm going to try a 100% natural fibre baselayer. Merino wool, to be specific. 3 reasons, really.

1) sustainability - I'm going green.

2) the main reason - warm, even when wet. I've never been completely satisfied with the synthetic baselayers for cold weather. They do a great job cooling me off in the summer, but they've continually failed to keep me warm (when wet) in the cold weather. Wool is a natural fibre that is supposed to be able to keep me warm, even when wet. We'll see how that compares during this upcoming ski season.

3) no stink. Synthetics have this magical smell after sweating in them. I test-wore my new merino base-layer for 3 days (2 x 16 hr days light activity + 1 x 8 hr day moderate activity), and there was no similar stink.

Unfortunately, most wool products are mixed with acrylic (like yarn) for lower costs. Anyway, because the acrylic fibres are stronger than the wool fibres, friction and wear will cause shearing of the wool fibres, leading to pilling. It's actually pretty hard to find quality wool products. Most of the stuff out there has acrylic in it.

Anyway, if you're interested in merino wool base-layers, the best value will probably be at MEC. However, MEC doesn't carry a base-layer as light as the Icebreaker 150. If you're looking for the thinnest possible (because you overheat quickly and sweat lots), I'd recommend trying the Icebreaker 150.

-d

4 comments:

Steph said...

I bought my brother some nike heat gear shirts for when he goes jogging at night. I got it at an outlet for $30. He says they work well for his purposes. I have never tried them though cuz well i dont sweat that much but i find the the nike dri-fit long sleeves keep me pretty warm when i play softball in cold weather but again i dont sweat that much and really i think i just like how its snug to my body so the wind cant get in through the bottom like with jackets or loose hoodies. Wool makes me itchy.

Dust said...

You eventually get used to the itch.

Merino wool has less/no itch as the fibres aren't as coarse as typical sheep's wool.

-d

Cammie said...

I have to say, i admire the amount of effort you put into researching your purchases.

Anonymous said...

you people are really good nice to be here [url=http://generatorafro.info/generator+gas+tank+beale/]generator gas tank[/url]