Thursday, October 08, 2009

Surprisingly unoriginal

In the process of developing my new inventory of seasonings, spices and sauces, I thought long and hard about how to organize the various spices I would invariably pick up over the next few months.

I've seen all kinds of spice racks and containers, and there's a lot of very similar stuff out there. So, I decided that to be original, I would buy a set of test tubes and a test tube rack to serve as my original home-made spice rack. How cool would that be? Spices are part of that myseriously alchemical world of flavouring, and the parallel with the world of chemistry, I thought, would be clever.

I got to Science City in underground Yorkville, near Holt Renfrew, and asked about test tubes.
The Manager's reply, "Is this for chemistry, or for a spice rack?"
And my delusion of cleverness and originality falls away.
"Do a lot of people come in here for test tubes to make spice racks?" I ask a little while later.
"We've been selling test tubes here for 30 years, and that's all everyone ever buys them for."
Great.
Back to the drawing board.

4 comments:

LesSilly said...

haha. Oh man...there is such an inner Martha Stewart in you.

And whatcha doing hanging out over at Yorkville.

Dust said...

KT & I were headed over to Roots to get my leather bag repaired.

Otherwise, I normally visit Yorkville for Holt Renfrew. I like to do a regular round through the denim department and Ralph Lauren. I also like checking out ties - sometimes they have awesome awesome ties.

-d

Cammie said...

i think its because its a science store...in yorkville. what kind of scientist goes to yorkville to buy lab equipment? i'm sure other places sell test tubes for normal test tube use haha

Steph said...

I think you should use those test tubes and actually grow herbs and stuff out of them. Now wouldnt that be cool? i mini herb and spice test tube garden.